Thursday, May 7, 2009

The 'Beards of Hollywood' Directors Cut Volume III


I love this weeks Directors Cut focus, Mr. Stanley Kubrick! I didn't get this guy for years, and rightfully so, his shit was usually way over my head. Then, around 19 I started to get really into film and the art of filmmaking in general, Clockwork Orange sorta went over my head for a moment but The Shining and Dr. Strangelove I got right away.

I really don't know why he hasn't made a movie since 1999... Oh wait, he is dead! Which really hurt the world of filmmaking and delt it a painful, sudden blow. Kubrick was finishing the final edit of the 1999 film, Eyes Wide Shut. Somwhere in the ballpark of 7,223,422 miles of film from what I have heard. I believe I actually rounded down, why wouldn't he want to keep checking every single frame he shot of Nicole Kidman's hot ass naked body?

Even his death can't stop this man! There are currently 2 scripts that I am aware of making their rounds in Hollywood. The New York Times is reporting that his treatment for 'Lunatic at Large' (2010) is currently in development. The story focuses on a dude who gives a ride to a millionaire and in exchange the millionaire offers to trade lives with the guy, only to find out that the millionaire is really an escaped mental patient. The script is from his Paths of Glory era, so who knows. We all know that Darren Aronofsky has been back and forth with whether or not he will make Kubrick's Napoleon treatment a reality but I say, hell yes Darren make this bitch, and GROW A BEARD ALREADY!

The last film to be taken from a Kubrick treatment was A.I. (I personally liked it, but thought that Spielberg wasn't at his A game!) It was great to have one beard directing another beard's work, and it worked out as a whole, I mean, Teddy was the shit and Chris Rock was miscast and shitty, so we had that going for us.


His work is legendary. His life was extraordinary, His antics were secondary to none. He was a recluse. He was a picture of perfection in all terms of the words (did you see him make Shelly Duvall cry in The Shining making of? Sweet tap dancing christ this man was scary. I blame the big whiskers!)

Here is a rundown of his bad assery:
  1. Eyes Wide Shut (1999)
  2. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
  3. The Shining (1980)
  4. Barry Lyndon (1975)
  5. A Clockwork Orange (1971)
  6. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
  7. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
  8. Lolita (1962)
  9. Spartacus (1960)
  10. Paths of Glory (1957)
  11. The Killing (1956)
  12. Killer's Kiss (1955)
  13. The Seafarers (1953)
  14. Fear and Desire (1953)
  15. Day of the Fight (1951)
  16. Flying Padre: An RKO-Pathe Screenliner (1951)
There really isn't anything else to say. So here is one last sweet picture of the Legend.


Grey Beards ghost probably just chills with this cat in the netherworld talking about why in the fuck he never made a pirate movie!

Till next time,
Super E

4 comments:

  1. Man, Kubrick really did have a great beard, and an amazing list of credits. I think I was about the same age when I started liking his stuff.

    I've always been a big fan of The Shining though. One time Salad (our new writer)and I went to the Stanley Hotel and watched it on a huge screen in the lawn. It was very cool, since they filmed a couple scenes of the 1997 version at the hotel. I'm not a fan of the 1997 version at all though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was scary! We got lost and I appreciated NO BEARDS that night.

    However, I do fully appreciate Kubrick's beard. Now. When it is not dark at the Stanley Hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad story: I have seen 0 of those movies listed above. Isn't my life terrible? I've seen only parts of Eyes Wide Shut....Yep, that's it.

    ReplyDelete