Saturday, May 9, 2009

Lady looks like a dude

Some may wonder what sort of contribution I, The Lons (a beardless female) could make to ‘Beards of Hollywood’. What do women know about beards, right? I mean let’s face it, most women spend their lives ripping the hairs from their follicles not growing them. Well scoff if you must, but I know just as much about beards as you. Growing up I found it fascinating that so many groups of my male friends would spend months growing beards or mustaches together…a sort of bonding experience. I’ve watched my friends who were unable to grow beards (I call them “follically challenged”) watch from the sidelines, truly devastated at their inability to participate. Not everyone can grow a beard, therefore it is a true accomplishment. A beard can also have a lot of impact on how one is perceived. The shape of a beard can suggest character traits, making one look refined, rugged, vagrant, grizzly, sophisticated, shrewd…the list goes on. A beard is not just hair. Don’t worry boys, I get it.

Now that I’ve hopefully earned your acceptance, let’s talk movie beards. I’m proud to say that I have found a well known actress who is sporting a full beard for her next roll. The seductress herself Salma Hayek is taking on the role of Madame Truska a.k.a “The Bearded Lady” in the upcoming Paul Weitz film Cirque Du Freak. The film is based on the best-selling book series by Darren Shan and is set to be released in 2010. With a cast including Willem Dafoe, John C. Reilly and Ken Watanabe, my interest is piqued.

A very hairy Hayek was photographed on the set in New Orleans City Park in Louisiana.
I can hear some of you already saying "But that's not a real beard!" To you I say this...Pamela Anderson, Carmen Electra and Jenna Jameson's boobs aren't real...are they still boobs? I find this beard absolutely noteworthy. While this is her first full-beard film, this is not the only movie where Hayek has donned interesting facial hair. In the 2002 film Frida, she sported an impressive unibrow and soft mustache in her portrayal of the late artist Frida Kahlo.

This woman fully embraces and respects the power of facial hair in film. Some may find she's ahead of her game while others probably want to toss her a bottle of Nair. However, here at 'Beards of Hollywood' ...Selma we salute you.

Cheers,

The Lons

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are really coming into our own with this team. All the articles have been great so far, and we are taking a VERY different route on NEW movie news... AND it is exciting as hell and fun to read!!

    Great article Lon's KICK ASS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! Nicely done.

    Salma Hayek is hot, even with a beard. Not so much as Frida Kahlo though. Frida was sort of a scary looking woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm apparently I was signed in to the wrong user there... good times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The true test of a woman's hotness is making her go out in public sporting a full beard and seeing if she still gets ogled. I tried it the other week and they made me leave the Applebees :( Fail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog just got so much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I go out in public with a full natural beard all the time, and I'm still hot.

    Matthew threatened me with death today if I didn't make a comment on here.

    I don't know why I didn't comment earlier. I really enjoyed your first post. Welcome to the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you liked it :) Don't be scared of matthew, he's about as dangerous as a legless poodle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well my mom was killed by a legless poodle...so yeah....let's not joke about that.

    ReplyDelete